Google me this Wizard of R&R.....

Saturday, March 01, 2014

Jerry Jeff Walker - Mr. Bojangles 1968 - The Wizard leaves NYC



The Wizard worked at the Riviera Cafe in Sheridan Square NYC in '67 and ''68 , I also worked across the Street at Your Father's Mustache. In '68 this song appeared on the jukebox! In New Orleans in '73-'75 Jerry Jeff told the story that the song had been written not far from the Concert Hall in the Police holding cell about an old white guy !
When Sinatra told Sammy Davis Jr. that at one of Sammy's shows at the Copa , he feinted cryin' to Frank beggin' not to take Bojangles Away from African American people. Sammy ,referring to Bill Bojangles Robinson ! Of course most people thought that's who this song was about , until Jerry Jeff told the story on a live Album which this song was recorded in NOLA .I forgot the name of the Hall but I believe a Performong Arts Theater near Rampart St. if my memory serves me right .You could hear The Wizard  yell on the tape , I knew they were recording the show !!! 

No comments: